Aaron Rodgers speaks with both actions and words and nothing can emphasize that point more than the comments he made about fellow teammate Jermichael Finley this week, followed today by his selection as the NFL offensive player of the month.
Clearly, his actions on the field have caught the attention of the NFL, his peers and fans as evidenced by this selection. Rodgers’ play this first month of the season has been a spillover from the last half of last season.
To put it bluntly … this guy is on a roll with little on this earth showing signs of being able to slow him down. He’s got things figured out and is using his God-given talents, good coaching and the skills of those around him to his advantage.
And with that in mind, he’s clearly a leader who knows what to say and when to say it … not only to bring the best out of those around him, but to maximize the team’s success.
When he came out this week and criticized tight end Jermichael Finley about mistakes he made in the Chicago game (despite catching three touchdown passes) Rodgers not only showed his leadership, but his respect for his teammates.
Sometimes that’s what it takes to be the best. Sometimes players have to tell it like it is because if they don’t pretty soon the entire team is sinking to a level they don’t want to experience.
Rodgers has been at the top of the mountain and has had the opportunity to survey the landscape. He’s known the ultimate success and knows how to get there. He wants Jermichael Finley to join him there, but in order for that to happen, Finley has to follow. To follow, he has to do things the right way and Rodgers understands that.
Let’s hope Finley does.
If the tight end doesn’t get it, all he has to do is take a look at Rodgers’ recent honor, being chosen as offensive player of the month … not of the week … of the Month. This was a selection over players the likes of Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson.
All I can say about that is that those who made the selection got it right.
The following is the press release sent out today by the Green Bay Packers public relations department:
Quarterback AARON RODGERS of the Green Bay Packers, linebacker SEAN LEE of the Dallas Cowboys and kicker JASON HANSON of the Detroit Lions are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for September, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB AARON RODGERS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
• Rodgers led the team to a 3-0 record, completing 74 of 103 passes (71.8 percent) for 917 yards with eight touchdowns and one interception for an NFL-best 120.9 passer rating.
• He posted a passer rating of at least 100 in all three September contests.
• Rodgers leads the NFL in completion percentage (71.8 percent) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (8:1).
• In his seventh season from California, this is Rodgers’ third career Player of the Month Award and second in a row. He previously was honored in October 2009 and December 2010.
• Rodgers is the first player to be named NFC Offensive Player of the Month in consecutive months since Pro Football Hall of Famer MARSHALL FAULK (December 2000 and September 2001).
• He and BRETT FAVRE (five) are the only Packers to be named Offensive Player of the Month multiple times.