Yes, the Packers haven’t made any noise in the free agency sweepstakes the past two days, but if you measured the amount of excitement waiting to boil over among those in Packers Nation, one gets the feeling that this is all going to change sometime soon. Those who don’t like the fact that Thompson is the proverbial wallflower – the one who dreads being at the dance, but waits for Prince Charming to come and change life – will be singing a different tune if and when Thompson comes away with both Greg Jennings and Steven Jackson.
Is it possible for both of those players to help the Packers level the free agency playing field? I think so, but Thompson might have to give a bit to get his guys. Yes, Thompson wants those two players at his price, but c’mon, Ted, you’ve also got to bend a bit … not a lot … just a bit.
So just what has been happening across the NFC North?
Here’s a look at each of the teams as provided by the fansided.com team trackers:
- signed TE Martellus Bennett to a four-year contract
- signed OT Jermon Bushrod to a five-year contract
- re-signed LB DeAndre Levy to a three-year contract
- re-signed WR Kassim Osgood to a one-year contract
- re-signed FS Amari Spievey to a one-year contract
- re-signed CB Chris Houston
- signed DT Jason Jones
- signed RB Reggie Bush to a four-year contract
- re-signed WR Jerome Simpson to one-year contract
- re-signed RT Phil Loadholt to a multi-year contract
- re-signed C/G Joe Berger to a one-year contract
- re-signed S Jamarca Sanford
- re-signed FB Jerome Felton to a three-year, $7.5 million contract
- re-signed LB Erin Henderson to a two-year contract
While the Vikings traded away Percy Harvin and the Lions lost Cliff Avril – both to the Seattle Seahawks, all three of these teams seem to be working the game the way they feel is best for their teams. And when you throw in the Bears, well they got their targeted offensive lineman and a new face at tight end.
So, when do the Packers join the party?
That’s up to Ted Thompson … let’s hope he doesn’t let the chance slip away. This free agency period could be his legacy. Let’s hope we remember his legend in a bright light.