Were you one of those Green Bay Packers fans who went “ggggrrrrrr” after the team traded out of the third round on Friday for extra picks on Saturday?
Well, let’s see if the Packers make some selections in the final rounds that will turn that into “ggggrrrreat!”
You think it’s time for them to select an offensive lineman to protect their new $110 million investment in their franchise quarterback? Check out these names still available. I listed them with their overall ranking by well-respected draft analyst Mike Mayock.
• Brian Schwenke, center, California (ranked 55th)
• David Bakhtiari, tackle, Colorado (ranked 80th)
• David Quessenberry, tackle, San Jose State (ranked 84th)
• Barrett Jones, center, Alabama (ranked 91st)
Or maybe you think they should draft some secondary help with the 109th overall pick, a position of need with Charles Woodson departing.
• B.W. Webb, cornerback, William and Mary (ranked 67th)
• Jordan Poyer, cornerback, Oregon State (ranked 85th)
• Shamarko Thomas, strong safety, Syracuse (ranked 95th)
• William Gholston, defensive end, Michigan State (ranked 78th)
• Alex Okafor, defensive end, Texas (ranked 79th)
• John Simon, defensive tackle, Ohio State (ranked 89th)
• Jesse Williams, defensive tackle, Alabama (ranked 97th)
How about other players, not necessarily in positions of need, who would be tempting to pick?
• Cornelius Washington, OLB, Georgia (ranked 54th)
• Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers (ranked 69th)
Or how about just pick the best player available? That currently is USC quarterback Matt Barkley, ranked 44th by Mayock. Fat chance the Packers would select him. One, I don’t think he will last until their pick. Secondly, he doesn’t fit their needs, obviously.
Anyway, I just named 14 players still available, all listed as top 100 prospects going into the draft by Mayock. The Packers have the 12th selection Saturday, which means one of these value picks will be available to them. I would be happy with any of them, but my personal vote is for an O lineman.
What direction would you like to see the Packers go with the first pick in the fourth round?