Justice Cunningham, a tight end out of South Carolina, was drafted this weekend by the Indianapolis Colts, for which he was pretty excited – who cares if he’s been deemed this year’s Mr. Irrelevant?
Here’s how Cunngingham is described on his draft profile page at NFL.com:
Does he have as great of a chance at sticking around for awhile with the Colts? Well, maybe not as much of a chance as the Kansas City Chiefs’ number one selection, Eric Fisher, but Cunningham wouldn’t be setting a precedent if he did make the team.
In fact, if he did, Cunningham, who is a 6-3, 258 pounder, would join plenty of players who have stuck around at least a couple of years. Among those picks are these guys:
• Cheta Ozougwu, 2011, Drafted by the Houston Texans in the 7th round (254th overall). He played two games in 2012 with the Chicago Bears;
• Ryan Succop, 2009, drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 7th round (256th overall). He’s a kicker who has played four full seasons with the Chiefs (64 games);
• Mike Green, 2000, drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 7th round (254th overall). He played six seasons with the Bears and one season each with the Seahawks and the Redskins (104 games);
• Marty Moore, 1994, drafted by the New England Patriots in the 7th round (222nd overall). He played seven seasons with the New England Patriots and one season with the Browns (112 games played); and
• Bill Kenney, 1978, drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the 12th round (333rd overall). He played nine seasons for the Chiefs (started 77 of 106 games).
Here is a complete list of the last 10 Mr. Irrelevants, ranked by irrelevancy:
10. Cheta Ozougwu, DE
9. Andy Stokes, TE
8. Ahmad Miller, DT
7. Tim Toone, WR
6. Kevin McMahan, WR
5. Andre Sommersell, LB
4. Ryan Hoag, WR
3. Ramzee Robinson, CB
2. David Vobora, OLB
1. Ryan Succop, K
There is one thing for sure, Cunningham has been invited to Irrelevant Week, a charitable event in held in Newport Beach, Calif.
It’s not Disney World, but hey, what more can Mr. Irrelevant ask for?