One of my favorite sayings is, “Diamonds are forever. And so are the NBA playoffs.”
It just never seems to end. Really? The Grizzlies are still alive?
Thankfully, as a Green Bay Packers fan, I can earmark the end of the NBA championship as sort of a milestone toward getting to NFL training camp. Ditto with the so-called “Summer Classic,” the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, which takes place this year on July 16.
Don’t get me wrong; I like baseball, but a 162-game season drastically diminishes the importance of, say, a Tuesday afternoon game between the Cubs and Mets. Yawn. (And I’m a Cubs fan!)
Unfortunately, this is the time of the season that, for a Green Bay Packers fan (or any rabid NFL fan), seems the longest. Packers training camp officially starts July 26, more than two months from now, and the first pre-season game isn’t until Thursday, Aug. 9.
What to do until then? Heck, I’m having trouble even finding things to blog about. Sigh.
Anyway, with that in mind, I’ve come up with some pastimes that will not only make the wait seem a bit shorter, but also help deter you from watching the Miami Heat win another NBA title. Because no one needs to do that to themselves.
As such, here are the Top 10 Green Bay Packers Fans’ Pastimes for Summer 2013:
10. Go back and look through seven seasons’ worth of Aaron Rodgers photo bombs.
9. Watch your 2010 Super Bowl highlights over and over while wearing your Nick Collins jersey and cheesehead hat.
8. Snicker and smirk while watching tape of Brett Favre’s final season with the Vikings.
7. Hire a voodoo doctor to do some crazy dance that will help you cast a spell to compel the Bears to sign Terrell Owens.
6. Spend quality time with your significant other. (This was going to be No. 10, but I’m afraid my girlfriend might see it. Figured 6 was a good compromise.)
5. Read LombardiAve.com for daily updates on the latest Packers news and goofy blog posts like this one. (That one should make my editor happy.)
4. Sit and aggressively fume about the fact that Jermichael Finley is going to make more money than Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb … COMBINED.
3. Eat grilled bratwurst, drink lots and lots of Blatz beer, and talk about Mason Crosby’s certain demise with your buddies. Hey, it’s summer. You’d be doing that anyway, right?
2. Desperately look online for a brand new Eddie Lacy jersey in your size.
And the No. 1 Packers Fans’ Pastime for Summer 2013 is: Grit your teeth, rock back and forth on your couch and pray to the heavens above that somehow, some way, Dom Capers can figure out a way to get that #$%& defensive fixed already. Because, c’mon!
Happy summer, everybody.
May it pass quickly.