Green Bay Packers. Injuries.
Those are two terms that have been synonymous in the past – way too synonymous.
Flashback to 2010 when the Packers had something like 15 players on the disabled list. While the sky seemed to be falling, the Packers were well set and those who stepped in, stepped up. We all know what the results of that season were.
However, no team likes injuries and 2010 seemed like a miracle.
The Packers 2011 and 2012 seasons were both marred by more injuries that had significant impacts on the team.
That’s why Packers brass have been working this training camp in minimizing the impact. But like all football teams, there have been injuries. While only the wrist injury (which required surgery) of wide receiver Sederrik Cunningham has been the most significant recently, there are several other players whose returns are questionable. It doesn’t mean that they won’t return at some point soon, it’s just not clear exactly when.
One thing is clear. The players who are out will need to make quick recoveries to have a chance to make this team that seems deep with talent. Depth is important for all teams, but when players go down and deplete that depth, it affects the entire team.
With that said, one of my favorite Packers sites, cheeseheadtv.com, put together the list below based on the players that were injured as of Thursday. Ironically, there wasn’t a single player who dropped out of practice on Thursday as the Packers prepare for Saturday night’s Family Night scrimmage.
That’s a good thing. if only every day was that way.
Here is the list prepared by cheeseheadtv:
Returning to Practice
Commentary: No one saw Jolly actually drop out of Wednesday’s practice, but McCarthy did confirm he suffered an ankle injury. He appeared to return showing no ill effects on Thursday, which prompted McCarthy to say he’s tough and wasn’t surprised about his return.
Commentary: With Sean Richardson remaining on the PUP list, the Packers got a welcome return from Fulton at the safety position. He brings the number of healthy safeties on the team’s roster up to six.
The following players’ status hasn’t changed (anticipated return in parentheses):
- Cornerback Casey Hayward, hamstring (a couple weeks, as of last Friday)
- Cornerback Tramon Williams, knee (a couple weeks, as of Tuesday)
- Defensive lineman Mike Neal, abdomen (a couple weeks, as of last Friday)
- Running back DuJuan Harris, knee (two or three weeks, as of Tuesday)
- Linebacker Dezman Moses, toe (undetermined)
- Linebacker Nate Palmer, shoulder (undetermined)
- Offensive lineman Derek Sherrod, leg (undetermined, on his “last hurdle,” according to McCarthy)
- Wide receiver Charles Johnson, knee (presumably day to day)
- Wide receiver Kevin Dorsey (undetermined)
- Safety Sean Richardson, neck (undetermined)
- Defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, knee (undetermined)
- Offensive lineman J.C. Tretter, ankle (regular season at the earliest)
- Wide receiver Sederrik Cunningham, wrist (indefinite)