Injuries continue to plague the Packers. With nearly 15 players who probably won’t see the field tomorrow, it puts the Packers at a disadvantage, but also opens the door for many others who may not have had the chance to impress.
Today, we found out that rookie running back Eddie Lacy, who is suffering from a hamstring issue, most likely will not play in Friday’s game. He didn’t practice today. We also learned the OT Andrew Datko has a concussion and that the Packers will be playing with only nine offensive linemen who are healthy.
What does that mean? Most likely there will be linemen who will be lining up at multiple positions throughout the game.
Head coach Mike McCarthy also said that while his plan is to try to get all four quarterbacks on the field, the number one offense, including Aaron Rodgers, will play against the Cardinals.
It also means that newly-signed Vince Young is set to play, though McCarthy said the quarterback is “playing uphill,” and is going through a “mental transition.”
As for one of the more intriguing position battles – the kickers – McCarthy said they would alternate kickers throughout the night and that for all the position battles, those who perform well in the games will have the upper hand when it comes to making a decision on which players to keep and which will be released.
The first cutdown of rosters across the league is Aug. 27, when all teams are required to trim down from 90 to 75 players.
So, at this point, while the Packers want to win against the Cardinals – who have questions of their own – the team is also concerned about getting through this first game without any more significant injuries, while getting players on the field so that evaluations can take place.
The complete list of players provided by cheeseheadtv.com who are out for at least a couple of more weeks, maybe more is below:
- Wide receiver Jordy Nelson, knee (regular-season opener)
- Cornerback Casey Hayward, hamstring (a couple weeks, as of 7/26)
- Cornerback Tramon Williams, knee (a couple weeks, as of 7/30)
- Running back DuJuan Harris, knee (two or three weeks, as of 7/30)
- Offensive lineman Derek Sherrod, leg (undetermined, on his “last hurdle,” according to McCarthy)
- Wide receiver Charles Johnson, knee (undetermined)
- Wide receiver Kevin Dorsey (undetermined)
- Tight end Andrew Quarless, quad (undetermined)
- Tight end Ryan Taylor, knee (week to week, as of 8/6)
- Safety Sean Richardson, neck (undetermined)
- Defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, knee (undetermined)
- Offensive lineman J.C. Tretter, ankle (regular season at the earliest)