Packers Nation hits its stride (or is it a stumble) into mid-week by wondering just what is it about this Green Bay Packers team? Who are they? What can we expect from the 2013 unit? Will they be able to turn things around on the field?
And that’s just the beginning. We won’t touch on the quarterback situation, the cornerback situation, the running back situation, or the offensive line – at least not now.
But there are major questions facing the Packers today – questions that are bound to extend into tomorrow, next week and the week after that.
Here are just a few that I have today … maybe you can add more:
• Will Eddie Lacy be well enough to play this coming Saturday? Yesterday he was relegated to individual work away from the fray. Will he be allowed to get back to playing with the boys today or tomorrow?
• Will Datone Jones be ready for Saturday? Is it really necessary to have him ready for Saturday? My guess is that he’s held out for precautionary reasons. We know how cautious Mike McCarthy and the Packers medical staff are these days.
• Will the Packers score points this weekend? Last week against the Cardinals it appeared James Starks scored on that first drive, which would have put points on the board against the Cardinals. Instead they ended up getting shut out.
• Will Mason Crosby make a run in the final three weeks to reclaim the Packers place kicking job? Right now, Georgio “Sergio” Tavecchio has a significant edge in numbers of successful field goals made during camp. The real test, of course, will come down to how these two kick in game situations.
• Will Kevin Dorsey and Charles Johnson get healed up enough to have a shot at making the team? You might remember that the two seventh round draft choices both went down with injuries in the first couple of days of training camp.
• Will Vince Young pick up enough of the Packers system to make a legitimate run to earn the backup quarterback spot? – Ooops! I wasn’t supposed to talk about the quarterback situation, but I just couldn’t help myself.
• And lastly, will the injuries slow down for the Packers? We all know it’s a violent game and that injuries come with that, but this is ridiculous.
So, on this Wednesday morning as you enjoy your coffee and donut, ask yourself a few questions about this evolving team.
One thing I know for sure – it’s going to be a fun year. I’m looking forward to even more drama on the field.