When the Green Bay Packers match up against the San Francisco 49ers Sunday you will see a wide variety of talent on both sides of the ball. With this overflow of talent pouring onto Candlestick Park on Sunday, you can expect to see at least five key match-ups that will determine the outcome of the game.
5. WR Jordy Nelson vs CB Carlos Rogers. The Packers will be looking to pass the ball early and often. Look for Rogers to be lined up against Nelson. The 49ers will try to slow Aaron Rodgers down. Nelson is Aaron Rodgers’ favorite deep ball target which get the offense rolling.
4. OLB Aldon Smith vs T David Bakhtiari. Aldon Smith broke the 49ers’ sack record last year with 19.5. He will be testing rookie Bakhtiari from the very first snap to ensure pressure on Aaron Rodgers early.
3. RB Eddie Lacy vs LB Patrick Willis. The powerful rookie running back will have a tough first test against this linebacker corps featuring Willis. Willis is a tackling machine and the face of the 49ers defense. It will be a slugfest watching these two hammer it out.
2. OLB Clay Matthews vs T Joe Staley – This is a one-on-one matchup over which the football Gods are drooling. Both of these players are arguably the best at their position in the NFL. Matthews said he wants to hit quarterback Colin Kaepernick early and often. Staley is the only force standing in his way.
1. Colin Kaepernick vs. Nick Perry – Kaepernick ran all over the Packers in the playoff loss last year. Don’t be surprised to see the Packers use Nick Perry to set the edge against the read-option and be used as a spy. Perry could very well determine Kaepernick’s success on the ground come Sunday.
So there you have it – my five key match-ups that could determine the outcome of this game. We’ll be watching.