As we head toward the second week of preseason play, we took a look at the Packers Dope Sheet, one of those documents produced each week by the Green Bay Packers that provides us with insight, tidbits and interesting facts about the team and their opponents.
If you’re not familiar with the Dope Sheet, it, according to Wikipedia, was the official press release and game program for the Green Bay Packers from 1921-24.
It was written by George Whitney Calhoun, the club’s first publicity director. The sheet has been published again in recent years to provide readers with anything and everything you might want to know about the team.
And with that in mind, here are some facts that might be of interest:
Green Bay and St. Louis have played five times in the last eight regular seasons (2006-07, 2009, 2011-12). In the last meeting, the Packers topped the Rams, 30-20, with QB Aaron Rodgers connecting on 30 of 37 passes (81.1 percent) for 342 yards and three TDs.
Of the 90 players on Green Bay’s roster, 41 of them (46.1 percent) were draft picks of the Packers. Dating back to 2009, Green Bay has selected seven players in the first round, all of which are still on the team.
Of the 90 players on the roster, 69 began their pro careers with the Packers (77.5 percent).
GREEN BAY’S ROSTER …
BY AGE (as of Aug. 16)
21-24, 51 players
25-28, 29 players
29-32, 9 players
33-plus, 1 players
R-1, 35 players
2-3, 26 players
4-5, 13 players
6-9, 14 players
10-plus, 2 players
BY DRAFT ROUND
1st, 10 players
2nd/3rd, 10 players
4th/5th, 14 players
6th/7th, 11 players
Undrafted, 45 players
Important dates to remember (all times CDT):
• Saturday, Aug. 16 – Preseason game at St. Louis Rams, 3 p.m., Edward Jones Dome
• Friday, Aug. 22 – Preseason game vs. Oakland Raiders, 7 p.m., Lambeau Field (Midwest Shrine Game)
• Tuesday, Aug. 26 – Roster reduction to a maximum of 75 players by 3 p.m.
• Wednesday, Aug. 27 – Final practice open to public, 10:15 a.m., Nitschke Field
• Thursday, Aug. 28 – Preseason game vs. Kansas City Chiefs, 6 p.m., Lambeau Field (Bishop’s Charities Game)
• Saturday, Aug. 30 – Roster reduction to a maximum of 53 players by 3 p.m.
• Sunday, Aug. 31 – After 11 a.m., clubs may establish a practice squad of eight players
• Thursday, Sept. 4 – Regular-season opener at Seattle Seahawks, 7:30 p.m.
• Sunday, Sept. 14 – Regular-season home opener vs. New York Jets, 3:25 p.m.
Mike McCarthy: 88-50-1, .637, (incl. 6-5 postseason); ninth NFL season
MIKE McCARTHY Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
MIKE McCARTHY Led the Packers to their fifth consecutive playoff appearance last season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to six playoff appearances in the last seven years (2007, 2009-13).
Tags: Green Bay Packers