2. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is coming off a disappointing season, but he’s put together a strong enough body of work over four years to trust he will bounce back in 2018. A Pro Bowler and second-team All-Pro just a year ago, the Packers can be confident their first-round pick in 2014 will return to his best sooner than later. After all, he will be playing for a contract.
More from Lombardi Ave
- Packers: Picks in NFL.com mock draft would be a home run
- Packers salary cap update following second week of free agency
- Packers’ cornerback depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ edge rusher depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ tackle depth chart after second week of free agency
The Packers exercised Clinton-Dix’s fifth-year option last offseason, meaning he is now entering the final year on his contract. The 25-year-old will see a jump in his salary next season, but will still only come with a $5.96 million cap hit, according to Spotrac.
Next offseason Clinton-Dix will become an unrestricted free agent. Considering his importance to the team, he’s a candidate for a mid-season extension. Assuming he plays well in Mike Pettine’s scheme, the Packers could look to have him re-signed to a long-term deal by December.
Clinton-Dix hasn’t missed a regular season game since being drafted four years ago, and he helped fill the Packers’ void at safety.
If Burnett walks this offseason, the urgency to re-sign Clinton-Dix before the 2018 season ends will only increase.