Jclombardi reviews “Big Game” predictions
Teams: Green Bay Packers (4-2) vs Minnesota Vikings (6-1).
Time: 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Place: Lambeau Field, Green Bay.
TV coverage: FOX prime time afternoon game coverage.
JSOnline: Four of the six Online Plus pick the Packers. Yet, their first preview considered “Silver Fox” QB Favre to have the QB advantage over QB Rodgers. Also, NFL brass say, Favre still gets the nod. All regular staff pick the Packers.
Bonus: See Favreageddon 2: Return to Lambeau.
Matchups & Things To Watch:
2. Offensive line is work in progress. Pass protection Issue. If LT Lang & RT Barbre do their jobs (with Clifton & Tauscher as backups), QB Rodger can win against an injured CB Winfield-less Vikings passing defense. Rodgers must go after backup CB Paymah.
4. 3-4 Defensive Pass Pressure. Capers must be more aggressive with the play calls. Will Green Bay Packers’ defense shift its focus? With SS Bigby back at safety, Capers appears far more comfortable opening up the playbook for zone-blitz calls. “Capers is going to have to blitz Favre. If you don’t put pressure on him you will have a tough time.”
5. RB Peterson vs Packers rush defense. In the first meeting, the Packers defensive game plan stopped Peterson holding him to 55 yards on 25 carries. Packers must contain again him to win. The linebackers must get off the blocks of the offensive linemen who get on you where you can’t get off the block because they’re so big, and then let 28 do his thing.
6. RB Grant vs Williams’ wall. Run to Daylight: Grant key vs. Vikings.
7. Intangibles decide it: Will; discipline; & leadership.