Arrowhead Addict was founded back in the Spring of 2007 by two brothers, Adam and Zach Best, and is the original Fansided site that kickstarted the network. Lombardi Ave owes some gratitude to its sister site.
But we’re talking football here, so to get a better understanding of what to expect from the Chiefs in both tonight’s game and for the upcoming season, we asked Andrew a few questions about the team.
Here is what he had to say. Enjoy his insight.
Packers vs. Chiefs Q&A
1. The Chiefs had a rough season last year, but they have a lot of talented players on their roster. What was their downfall last year, and what do they need to do this year to turn it around?
In my opinion it was the issues at quarterback. Green Bay fans know that the NFL is a quarterback’s league and you know what a good quarterback can do for the W-L record of the team. The opposite is true for a bad quarterback. This year it’s going to all be on the shoulders of Alex Smith and how well he can get the ball to the playmakers around him. Having an offensive-minded coach like Andy Reid will help as well.
2. What has Kansas City done this offseason to improve their team and avoid a repeat of last season?
This is a whole new organization. New general manager, new coach, new quarterback, new coordinators and a new philosophy.
3. The Chiefs took offensive tackle Eric Fisher from Central Michigan with the first overall pick in this year’s draft. What were your thoughts on this pick? How as he looked so far in training camp?
I don’t think you can ever go wrong drafting up front to fortify the line. Fisher is a big guy who is working to get used to the NFL. From CMU to the NFL is a big jump, but everything that I’ve heard suggests that he’s moving along like any normal rookie would.
He’s had his ups and his downs. Basically, he’s a rookie.
4. Are there any position battles on the team that still remain to be decided going into this week’s game?
A lot of backup spots are up for grabs. Donnie Avery came on nicely last week and looks like he can be a great No. 2 wideout, but I still have to believe that’s a competition where guys like Junior Hemingway, Devon Wylie and A.J. Jenkins can try to step up.
5. Are there any players that have really jumped out or surprised people in camp?
I can’t speak for the team or fans personally, because everybody has their own ideas, but I think rookie running back Knile Davis really stepped up this preseason. He started off slowly but really took off when he got starters reps in Week 2. Since then he’s been great on special teams and seems to have worked himself into the No. 2 role behind Jamaal Charles.
6. Kansas City acquired former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith this offseason. How does Smith improve the team? What are your expectations of him this year?
Smith is a consistent quarterback who has great accuracy and above-average athleticism. He has that Aaron Rodgers-esque elusiveness to him, meaning that he can sit in the pocket and throw darts, but when he runs he’s pretty good at picking up yards.
The expectations around here are that he’ll be one of the top 10-15 quarterbacks in the NFL this season.
I think it depends on how you evaluate that, but I do believe he’s the right quarterback for this team.
7. What do you perceive to be the strongest and the weakest areas on the team this year?
The strongest part of this team is the front seven defensively. Starting with Dontari Poe in the middle all the way to great linebackers like Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston. I think that group can be very special. Oh, and special teams is going to be excellent this season. Dave Toub has this group ready to change games.
The weakness would be depth at receiver. Really the Chiefs have Dwayne Bowe, Dexter McCluster and a bunch of questions marks, though Avery did look good last week in Pittsburgh.
8. What are your expectations of the team this year? Anything else you’d like to add or want us to know about the Chiefs?
Kansas City will be much better than 2-14. In fact, I think a lot of people here are expecting a WildCard weekend game and I don’t think they’re crazy. This team will surprise some people.