NFL Free Agency: Should the Green Bay Packers sign Pernell McPhee?
Dec 28, 2014; Baltimore, MD, USA; Cleveland Browns quarterbackConnor Shaw
(9) avoids the rush of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Pernell McPhee (90) in the second quarter at M&T Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports
Price tag might be too much
That all sounds great, right?
Well, maybe not so much.
According to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, McPhee is said to be looking for lucrative long-term contract:
"“McPhee is expected to command an annual salary between $8 million and $10 million when free agency begins March 10, according to NFL sources.”"
It doesn’t seem likely general manager Ted Thompson will be willing to spend that kind of money on the pass-rusher.
The Packers certainly have the money available to them.
Per Over The Cap, they have $32.50 million in cap space free. Despite that, it would seem like a luxury signing and not a necessity, making it unlikely.
The hope would be that with high-profile defensive players such as Ndamukong Suh, Terrance Knighton and Nick Fairley all potentially hitting the market, teams willing to overpay will flock to those players and leave McPhee’s price tag to drop.
If that doesn’t happen, it’s unlikely McPhee will be lining up in green and gold next year. It’s not a Ted Thompson–style move. Then again, I bet we would have all said that a year ago about Julius Peppers …
Pernell McPhee Career Stats
Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
More from Lombardi Ave
- Packers: Picks in NFL.com mock draft would be a home run
- Packers salary cap update following second week of free agency
- Packers’ cornerback depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ edge rusher depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ tackle depth chart after second week of free agency