Composite Rankings: Running Back
1. Saquon Barkley, Penn St (40 pts)
2. Derrius Guice, LSU (36 pts)
3. Ronald Jones, USC (28 pts)
4. Sony Michel, Georgia (26 pts)
5. Nick Chubb, Georgia (23 pts)
6. Royce Freeman, Oregon (18 pts)
7. Rashaad Penny, SDSU (17 pts)
8. Kerryon Johnson, Auburn (12 pts)
9. Kalen Ballage, ASU (7 pts)
10. John Kelly, Tennessee (5 pts)
Overview: All four writers had Saquon Barkley and Derrius Guice as their first and second running back in the class, making the top of the position pretty clear.
Ronald Jones was listed in each writer’s top-five–he ranked anywhere from third to fifth. However, the writers disagreed on the rest of the running back class.
Former Georgia duo Sony Michel and Nick Chubb ranked as high as third to as low as seventh. Ironically, nearly every writer kept them in a pair on their board, placing them in back-to-back spots, showing how difficult it is to separate the two players.
The next group of halfbacks most commonly mentioned were Royce Freeman, Rashaad Penny, and Kerryon Johnson.
All four writers had Freeman and Penny in their top-10. However, one writer viewed Penny as high as the fourth back in the class, while another one had him as low as running back No. 9.
Three writers listed Johnson, but two of them had him as their sixth halfback in the class. Kalen Ballage and John Kelly also made appearances on three writers’ boards.
Two writers had speedy NC State back Nyheim Hines in their rankings, but he wasn’t ranked high enough on either board to unseat either Kelly or Ballage in the composite rankings.