Freddie Boston: Packers select Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
I’m sure one of the draft’s premier defensive players will still be on the board when the Packers pick. Considering the number of teams in need of a quarterback, Brian Gutekunst won’t need to trade up to land a difference maker at No. 14. I think the player that drops will be Minkah Fitzpatrick, and this would be great news for the Packers.
More from Lombardi Ave
- Packers: Picks in NFL.com mock draft would be a home run
- Packers salary cap update following second week of free agency
- Packers’ cornerback depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ edge rusher depth chart after second week of free agency
- Packers’ tackle depth chart after second week of free agency
Fitzpatrick would wear a number of hats in Mike Pettine’s defense, and he could give the entire secondary a boost from Day 1. Whether lined up in the slot or outside, he would make a positive impact in Green Bay’s defensive backfield.
Fitzpatrick is a top-10 talent in this year’s draft, and could easily be gone ahead of the Packers.
In that case, Gutekunst should take a serious look at a cornerback like Josh Jackson or Mike Hughes, or maybe an edge rusher like Harold Landry. But I have a feeling Fitzpatrick will somehow still be available.
This would be a dream start to the draft. Green Bay would land one of the top talents in the class, who also plays a position of need.
By not needing to trade up, Gutekunst would still have 11 selections to use during the final two days. That could be a lot of fun.