Packers vs. Giants in London: 12 stats about the NFL International Series
By Jerry Tapp
Back in 2007, the NFL played its first regular season game outside the U.S. as part of the NFL International Series. The series started with games in London, expanded to Mexico a decade later, and on November 13 this season will play its first game in Munich, Germany (Seattle vs. Tampa Bay).
With their game this Sunday against the New York Giants, the Green Bay Packers become the 32nd and final NFL team to play a game outside the U.S. The contest will be played at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London. The Packers have been designated the home team in this game.
Prior to sitting down to watch the game this Sunday, here are 12 stats you need to know about the NFL International Series. This will be the 35th game played (31 have been played in London, three in Mexico).
1. Teams that have been designated as the home team have a combined record of 14-19-1 (.426 winning percentage). As noted above, the Packers are the home team for this game.
2. Eighteen of the 34 games played in the series have been decided by eight points or less (one possession). Of the other 16 games, 11 have been blowouts (games decided by 20 points or more).
3. Nine teams are currently undefeated in games in this series: New England and Minnesota are both 3-0; Kansas City, the Giants and San Francisco are each 2-0; Carolina, Philadelphia, Seattle and Dallas are each 1-0.
4. Tampa Bay has the worst record in these games at 0-3. There are eight teams with 0-1 records: Tennessee, Arizona, Baltimore, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Denver. Cincinnati is also winless with a 0-1-1 record.
5. Jacksonville has played the most games in the series with eight. They also have the most wins with four. The Raiders and Dolphins have each played five games in the series, tied for second-most. The Dolphins and Jaguars are tied for the most series losses with four each.
6. The one tie happened in 2016 when Washington and Cincinnati played to a 27-27 tie.
7. The first game played in the series was October 28 when the Giants defeated the Dolphins, 13-10 at Wembley Stadium in London.
8. The first game played in Mexico was November 21, 2016. The Raiders beat the Houston Texans 27-20 at Estadio Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.
9. Most combined points scored in a game is 69. New Orleans defeated the-then San Diego Chargers 37-32 in what was the second game played in the series on October 26, 2008.
10. The most points scored by a team is 45, held by both the New England Pats (2012) and Kansas City Chiefs (2015).
11. There have been two shutouts in the series, both in 2017: New Orleans 20-0 over Miami (October 1) and three weeks later, in the next game in the series, when the Rams beat the Cardinals, 33-0 (October 22).
12. While the Packers are the last team in the league to play in the series, the Denver Broncos have the longest wait in playing their second game in the series… they played their first game in the series in 2010 and have not played since.