Packers: Re-grading the 2018 draft class five years on
Five years ago, Brian Gutekunst put together his first draft class as general manager of the Green Bay Packers.
Cornerback and wide receiver were among the Packers’ biggest needs entering the 2018 NFL Draft, so it was unsurprising to see the team draft multiple players at each position.
Green Bay doubled down at cornerback with its top two picks, selecting Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson.
Gutekunst selected three wide receivers on the final day of the draft: J’Mon Moore, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Equanimeous St. Brown.
Green Bay Packers’ 2018 draft class
- Round 1 (18): Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
- Round 2 (45): Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
- Round 3 (88): Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt
- Round 4 (133): J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri
- Round 5 (138): Cole Madison, G, Washington State
- Round 5 (172): JK Scott, P, Alabama
- Round 5 (174): Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, South Florida
- Round 6 (207): Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame
- Round 7 (232): James Looney, DE, California
- Round 7 (239): Hunter Bradley, LS, Mississippi State
- Round 7 (248): Kendall Donnerson, EDGE, SE Missouri State
Final re-grade: B
The Packers got a lot wrong in this draft class, but they got their first pick right.
Jaire Alexander is one of the league’s best cornerbacks. In the past three seasons, he has made two Pro Bowls and been named a second-team All-Pro twice.
Marquez Valdes-Scantling became a key contributor for the Packers on offense, making 123 catches for 2,153 yards and 13 touchdowns during his time in Green Bay. He led the NFL in yards per reception in 2020.
However, the Packers didn’t re-sign MVS after his rookie contract, and he would sign with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2022.
Alexander is the only player from this draft class still on the Packers’ roster.
However, Gutekunst deserves credit for the trades he made. He traded down from No. 14, then back up to No. 18 to draft Alexander. By doing so, he also landed a future first-round pick from the New Orleans Saints.
Alexander, the additional first-rounder, and MVS were the positives from this draft class.