NFC North News: Marshall brings troubled past to the Bears


Brandon Marshall likes to talk big … some might say his actions on the football field should allow him to do so.

But in the end for the Chicago Bears, who just this past week gave away two third round picks for the former Miami Dolphins receiver, may require their new player to eat his words … maybe even without his participation in a single play for his new team.

That’s all dependent on how the league handles discipline for his alleged involvement in striking a woman this past weekend. We all know that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has been consistent in carrying a big stick when it comes to meting out penalties, especially for repeat offenders. Marshall has had several brushes with the law during his career and has been suspended once already – back in 2008 for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

Marshall, when he was playing for the Denver Broncos, was also involved in the incident that resulted in the shooting death of teammate Darrent Williams – but that significant occurrence is just the tip of Marshall’s brushes with the law. If there’s a loose cannon in the NFL, Marshall is it. He’s become the poster boy for “trouble.” And the Bears seem to have bought into it.

“In due time, the truth will be out, and we’re excited about that,” Marshall is quoted as saying at his introductory press conference today in Chicago. “Given my history, I definitely understand the concern and the questions.”

“Once it has taken its course, I think you will see things totally different, and we’re excited about the process,” Marshall said. “I understand and I get the perception out there. Those are the seeds that I’ve planted early on in my career up until last year.”

He also said that despite the allegations that he punched a woman at a nightclub over the weekend, he believes that when the facts come out he will not be facing any legal problems, or any NFL discipline.

Sure. Where have we heard that before? From just about any and every person who’s ever been accused of a wrongdoing.

This is not an isolated incident. Marshall’s checkered past follows him like stink on a skunk and if he thinks the commissioner is going to take pity on him, he’s in for a rude awakening … and probably a fine at a minimum or possible suspension.

I don’t write this because I’m a Packers fan and he’s been signed by the Bears. I write this because he’s a player that has given the NFL a black eye, much like he allegedly did to the woman last weekend. He’s poison and if the Bears think he’s the answer to their problems at wide receiver, then the organization has issues.

Take a look at Marshall’s Wikipedia page. There is an entire section entitled “Legal,” which details his run-ins with the law. Whether or not he is guilty or not guilty of any of these incidents isn’t the issue – the incident illustrates his character. Does anyone have any reason to believe the Dolphins didn’t unload him because he is a head case? If the Bears think he will be a positive influence in their locker room, maybe they should bring back Sam Hurd to help him out.

Below is the information pulled from his Wiki page.


"According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[57]On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at “The Shelter,” a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[58] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall’s cousin earlier that night.[59][60]On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[61] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[62]In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[63] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[64] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[65] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[64]According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded “about 11” calls to Marshall’s home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[66]A September 17, 2008 article on stated that the solicitor’s office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[67] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[68] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[69]On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[70] The charges were dropped the following day.[71]On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall. He was taken to a hospital and was released two days later. He is expected to make a full recovery.[72][73]It was later revealed by police that Marshall’s wife did make a brief 911 call, but it only described an unspecified emergency and no mention of a stabbing ever took place. She is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and is free on $7,500 bail.In a South Florida Sun-Sentinel article published on July 30, 2011, it was revealed that Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at Boston’s McLean Hospital after his incident with Nogami-Campbell.[74] He is currently pursuing treatment for his mental illness and filming a documentary about his struggle.On early Sunday, March 11, 2012, two days before his trade to the Bears, Marshall was accused of hitting a woman in the face at a New York club and being involved in a melee. The New York Post stated that Marshall, his wife and some friends were at Marquee when a brawl ensued, and Marshall punched the woman below her left eye, although he may have been attempting to hit the woman’s friends.[75]"