In 1991, the Green Bay Packers were really bad – like 4-12 bad – while the Detroit Lions were pretty good – like 12-4 good.
Only the 3-13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers were worse than the Packers, while the Lions won the NFC Central Division with their 12 wins.
Things have gone in opposite directions for the Packers and Lions since then … and in fact, the Lions haven’t won in the state of Wisconsin since that year.
The Packers will attempt to continue that streak when they host the Lions tomorrow in a game that matches up two teams sitting with 11-4 records. The winner will take not only the NFC North Division title, but a second seed playoff spot at worst and possibly a shot at the number one seed, depending on how other games end on Sunday.
The loser will still make the playoffs, but will drop to the number 6 seed and will have to go on the road during Wild Card weekend.
So, the Lions look to overcome a streak of 23 years that has been brutal. In fact, it’s so brutal, we thought we would take a look at the year 1991 to give some perspective on just how long ago it was.
To start, Brett Favre was an Atlanta Falcon in 1991 and nobody in Wisconsin knew who he was …
Other events during that year, according to thepeoplehistory.com follow ..
Super Bowl XXVI
How much for that in 1991
According to thepeoplehistory.com, here is how much things cost in 1991:
• Yearly Inflation Rate USA 4.25%
• Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 3168
• Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 6.50%
• Average Cost of new house $120,000.00
• Average Income per year$29,430.00
• Average Monthly Rent $495.00
• Cost of a gallon of Gas$1.12 1
• LB of Bacon $1.95
• Dozen Eggs 85 cents
Other interesting tidbits
George H.W. Bush was U.S. President
• Boris Yeltsin wins first free elections for Russia’s first popularly-elected president
Police Brutality Captured On Film in California in the case of Rodney King arrest
Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as president of the Soviet Union and the Soviet Union officially ceases to exist
911 Emergency Number tested in US northwestern cities
- Internet is made available to unrestricted commercial use and number of computers on the net reaches 1 million
- Linus Torvalds releases first version of the Linux operating system kernel
- The American Galileo spacecraft makes its closest approach to 951 Gaspra, becoming the first probe to visit an asteroid
- Microsoft Releases MS Dos 5.0
- Blue Roses produced by Genetic Engineering
- The Ice covering the Arctic has decreased by 2% in the last 10 years
- Tropical Rainforest shrinks by 1% annually as a result of Human activities
- Tim Berners-Lee introduces the web browser.
- Spread of Cholera reaches near epidemic proportions in Countries in Latin America
Invention Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
- Clockwork Radio invented in England by Trevor Baylis
- Airbag invented in the USA by Geoffrey L Mahon and Allen Breed
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- The Silence of the Lambs
- The Addams Family
- Sleeping with the Enemy
- Father of the Bride
- The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear
- Beauty and the Beast
- Pearl Jam
- Whitney Houston with All The Man That I need
- Michael Jackson with black and White
- Bryan Adams with Everything That I do I do it for You
- Phil Collins
- Guns N’ Roses
- Mariah Carey with Someday
- Amy Grant
- Beverly Craven
- Gloria Estefan
- Janet Jackson
- Boyz II Men
- Van Halen
- The Clash
- Paula Abdul with The Promise of The New Day
- Billy Bragg
- Garth Brooks
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Description The Super Nintendo Entertainment System features full digital stereo sound and breathtaking graphics! With huge characters and over 30,000 different colors to choose from your video screen comes to life with dazzling 3 dimensional effects. Includes Super Mario World game featuring the greatest video game hero in history. Mario can now move in, around and behind objects and the music will keep you stomping until dawn. Also includes two specially contoured controllers that feature eight buttons for unprecedented play control.
Lil’ Miss Mermaid Doll
Description Lil’ Miss Mermaid sings a mermaid song when hugged and changes color when placed in water.
Laundry Play Center
Manufacturer: Little Tykes
Description This sturdy, one-piece unit comes with a top-loading washer and front-loading dryer. The see-through windows turn to simulate the wash and dry actions. Also includes a fold-down ironing board and iron. For ages 2 to 6 years old.
Description The Columbia Plane has a one-channel digital proportional rudder system, new turbo motor, and automatic motor cut-off system. An interchangeable crystal makes this plane ready for competition.
IQ Computer and IQ Printer
Price: $199.99 each
Description The IQ Computer is a complete computer with 12 programs including basic tutor, basic, word processor, spreadsheets, database, graphs, 200 year calendar, spell right, calculator, art studio, word zappers, and mind challenge. This easy to use computer connects directly to a television with cables and connector that are included. The IQ Printer prints 135 characters per second in draft mode and 27 characters per second in Near Letter Quality mode. It can print up to five different fonts and features a single paper continuous feed.
Crimp N’ Curl Cabbage Patch Kid
Manufacturer: Cabbage Patch Kids
Description The Crimp N’ Curl Cabbage Patch Kid has incredible hair that kids can shape. Includes a no-heat curling iron, hair pick, and hair ties.