Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks fans are ready for the matchup between the two teams Sunday. While I shy from describing this season-opener as epic, it is sure to have a huge impact on the NFL playoffs come January.
The Packers/Seahawks legacy is one of controversy and competition; some of the best NFL games of the past 25 years have been played between these two teams.
How can we forget the “Fail Mary”?
Or how about the Packers’ meltdown at Seattle in 2014 when they lost the chance to go to the Super Bowl? If only Brandon Bostic had blocked instead of going for the ball … he knew Jordy Nelson was behind him.
More from Lombardi Ave
- Packers: Could Jermaine Johnson be added to Aaron Rodgers trade?
- Green Bay Packers lose two of team’s best-ever UDFA pass-catchers
- 5 things the Packers must do to win with Jordan Love
- Packers free agency update: All the moves Green Bay has made so far
- Packers: Pass rusher at No. 15 of recent PFF mock draft
In their most recent meeting, at Lambeau last season, the Packers had Russell Wilson‘s number, intercepting him five times in a 38-10 route of the Seahawks.
We expect Sunday’s meeting to be much closer, considering both teams have made significant changes in personnel this offseason, adding quality players at key positions.
The general consensus, and one might argue that it is an overwhelming consensus, is that the Packers, given the home field, have about a three-point advantage.
Yes, I could see this one being won on the game’s last play via a Mason Crosby 42-yard field goal.
Packers 27 Seahawks 24
That’s my pick.
Because my opinion doesn’t matter much in the sea of predictions floating across the internet, we decided to take a gander at what others are saying.
We culled a few posts that might be of interest …
From PackersNews.com, the video below provides staff predictions … Do they all side with a Packers win?
- Ironrank.com predicts the Packers win by 2.7 points … take a look at their extensive statistics here to see how they come up with their decision.
- UPI.com has this to say, and is one of the few we could find that predicts the Seahawks stealing a win at Lambeau Field: These teams are considered the NFC’s best, so the winner takes a huge step in the hunt for home-field advantage. The Packers have had a lot of that vs. Seattle, but a healthy Legion of Boom and the addition of Richardson might change that.OUR PICK: Seahawks, 24-20.
- Inquisitr.com had this to say: Green Bay comes through with a narrow victory …Rounding out the predictions for this week’s matchup, the Packers will find a way to open the season with a win. Seattle is not going to go down easily, but Green Bay will squeeze out the victory. While the Packers will win, this will be a must-watch game for any football fan.
- Packerswire.usatoday.com staff writers are all on the same page, predicting the Green Bay Packers will win this one. You can see each of their reasons by going here.
Writer Prediction Score Season record Zach Kruse Win 27-24 0-0 Jack Wepfer Win 27-24 0-0 Marty Kauffman Win 27-20 0-0 Anthony Nash Win 30-24 0-0 Nolan Stracke Win 31-21 0-0
- And if you want to see what the folks in Seattle are thinking, take a trip over to Seattlepi.com to see how they are picking this one.