Composite Rankings: Safety
1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama (40 pts)
2. Derwin James, FSU (36 pts)
3. Ronnie Harrison, Alabama (30 pts)
4. Justin Reid, Stanford (29 pts)
5. Jessie Bates, Wake Forest (20 pts)
6. DeShon Elliott, Texas (16 pts)
7. Armani Watts, Texas A&M (14 pts)
8. Kyzer White, West Virginia (12 pts)
9. Marcus Allen, Penn St (9 pts)
10. Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech (8 pts)
Overview: All four writers agreed on the top two safeties in the class, each ranking Minkah Fitzpatrick first and Derwin James second. Both safeties are locks for the top-15 picks of the draft and should be immediate impact players in the NFL.
All four writers also ranked Justin Reid and Ronnie Harrison in their top-five. One of the two safeties could even sneak into the end of the first round.
However, while two writers viewed Jessie Bates as the fifth best safety in the class, one ranked him as high as fourth, while another placed him 10th.
Outside of the top-five, each writer had some arrangement of DeShon Elliott, Kyzer White, Armani Watts, Marcus Allen, and Terrell Edmunds in their top-ten. Each of the five safeties were included in three writers’ top-10, but not a single of these five were mentioned by all four writers.
Among the four writers polled, only five safeties were unanimous top-10 players at the position.